Sunday, February 6, 2011

Is it really all about who you know, or something like that?


Went to a seminar given by a psychiatrist, Curt Thompson, M.D., who has written a book titled Anatomy of the Soul. The material was fresh, certainly not the same ‘ol same ‘ol. Yet, as I think about what I’m taking away from the class, the word that keeps coming to mind is the word “confirmed.” The new material confirmed some thoughts that have been on my mind.One of the first concepts was to talk about how important it is for us to be known by at least a few others – not for others to just know us, know who we are, but to be known by them. This is true. Anyone who has experienced a moment when another person totally understands you knows the powerful feelings that correspond to that moment. God created us knowing we would relish being known. Read I Corinthians 8:3 and 13:12 to be reminded that God Himself knows you.

But if you don’t know who you are, how do you know if someone else truly knows you or not? You might have a good feeling about someone, but you can’t figure out why you feel that, so is your need to be known ever met?

We listened to very scientific material that discussed how Neurobiology and Faith were interconnected. Even after I read the book, I don’t know if I will be able to write anything understandable about specifics of this topic. I certainly won’t try now.

But, some of the more simple concepts I could relate to immediately. How about the fact that the commandment given most often in the Bible is “Do not fear.” Ahh, fear. What are the main things you fear? I fear the unknown. There it is again – the known factor. How can my faith eliminate that fear? By knowing what God says He is doing and knowing who He is, I can “be not afraid.”

I fear rejection. How do I combat those fears? I act on what I know I am called to do regardless of fear. The more I do that, the less I fear rejection. Is there any promise I won’t be rejected? No. But when I don’t act because of fear, I am unfulfilled and feel like my life doesn’t have purpose. That is worse than fear to me.

I fear for my children’s safety. As I discover my own purpose and calling, I come to see that every person created is made for a purpose and calling, and I can’t let me fear stand in the way of what my children are called to do or go through.

So, I have confirmation. I need to be known. I need to know others. I need to believe that God knows me, and I can know Him. I can know what I was created to do, and that gives me peace and purpose. It combats fear.

So, how do you get to know yourself? How do you come to know and be known, a need that was created in us? There are many things you can do, but one is to come to a playshop where we have a lot of fun while discovering the answers to these questions. If you don’t know what a PlayShop is or you want to read about them, go to www.unwrittentravels.com. Hit the “play” tab. At the bottom of that screen click on the blue sentence that says “click here for the details on the PlayShop offerings for 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment