Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fairy Tales Really Do Come True


I tried out for cheerleader every year for 6 years. I REALLY wanted to be a cheerleader and thought I would be a great one if given the chance. Even though I have never been able to do a cartwheel, I actually made it pretty far each year until I would finally be cut. That says something for my enthusiasm, because believe it or not, I actually would do a forward roll for my gymnastics. Yes, a forward roll, commonly called a somersault – those things you teach your two year olds to do. Check your face right now, are you smiling or horrified? This probably speaks somehow to your temperament. You know I either have no pride, or I really wanted this.
It’s probably needless to say; I never made it. But, while going through Unwritten Travels during our most recent playshop, I came to a startling realization. I am a cheerleader! A cheerleader is an enthusiastic and vocal supporter who applauds and motivates others to get excited. What do I get to do every day for my job? I support women to go from where they are to where they want to be. I applaud them as they grow in their life. I thought I’d be wearing a mini-skirt and get to use pom-poms. It looks a little different than I thought, but I know it’s far more rewarding. That dream that was put on my heart way back as a preteen, came true and in even a better way than I ever thought possible.

Now, I’m looking back, taking time to remember what other dreams I may have forgotten. As I do, I am awed. Dreams really do come true. I have a charm bracelet. Although I don’t wear it much, it is a beautiful physical scrapbook commemorating life events. For Mother’s Day I know what I’m asking for, a charm of a pom-pom. If I wear my bracelet it will be with a much longer skirt that the one I would’ve worn back in school, but I’ll wear it with joy, and I won’t even have to do a somersault in public.

1 comment:

  1. haha Mom, I can't tell you how much I have appreciated your cheering me on every day! Thank you for setting such an incredible example for me. I love you!

    ReplyDelete